Saturday, September 16, 2006

Zenith just got off the boat dressed in a multi-colored sarong with a Scarlet Macaw on her shoulder

Seriously, if I get called "exotic looking" one more time I'm going to punch someone in the face. Or get slightly irritated and do nothing about it. As I do.

Random person at pub: You have this exotic look about you. Where are you from?
Me: Canada...?

ex·ot·ic (g-ztk)
adj.
- From another part of the world; foreign
- Intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange

My conclusion: I am from "another" part of the world, where exactly I'm not sure and I am excitingly strange. I'm going to, as I usually do, take it as a compliment and be content. Well no, except for this one time-

Random person at uni: Ya I love your exotic look.
Me: Right thanks. So what does that mean? What constitutes as "exotic"?
Random person at uni: Um...not white?

Final conclusion: I am from "another" part of the world. I am excitingly strange because I am from another part of the world. Most importantly I am not white. So am I excitingly strange because I am not white? Before I draw any drastic conclusions I will find another one of them "exotic people lovers" and grill them with more seemingly important questions about...well really...skin color...

Zenith will keep you updated.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is when people try to guess what you are...or assume and just talking about how much they "love" my food. I'm always interested in what they think "my food" is!

Nadia

Zed said...

Let's start an "exotic peoples" club. We'll be super exclusive. And cook frog legs and chicken gizzards.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea...i'm in!

Nadia

g. mango said...

i'm in. but not if you try to feed me animal byproducts and other such refuse.

let's eat cake and ice cream instead. i mean, if it's a club we're starting, we should at least eat something good.

Anonymous said...

you'd think sydney people would be used to "exotic" people really...
If you were somewhere like Chester in the north of england, then I would fully expect that kind of attitude!

Anyhoo, there's my 2 pence/cents :)

Zed said...

Brian you just may be cool enough to join my 'exotic peoples' club. Might have to slap on a bit of that fake tanning lotion though.

Anonymous said...

Why thank you, I was thinking that I could just wear a bowl of fruit on my head. Surely that would suffice...?! ;)

Zed said...

Yes! Fantastic.