Sunday, January 29, 2006

They call it "Australia Day"

Australia day was on the 26th. I went to a festival at a park in Parramatta (a suburb close to the city) and had a fabulous time. They sure are patriotic.

There were flags posted in a U-shape on the field. I think they were there to represent the multiculturalism that is ever so evident in the city and the surrounding suburbs.

I found the Canadian flag standing tall and proud. I smiled and took a shot of it flapping in the wind.

There were several local bands that played throughout the day. In the evening, they sang the Australian anthem. I stood there looking like a fool since I had never heard the anthem before and did not know a single word. The main attraction (besides the fireworks after sunset) was the concert featuring Guy Sebastian, the first Australian Idol...ever. Here he is (on the right) with two other renowned Aussie singers.

He won my heart after I heard him sing "What a wonderful world" and "When doves cry."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww, zenith, that looks like so much fun! ur so definitely more "ozzified" than the rest of us, goin to all these cultural thingies (lol, even tho u got more time in ozz-land, u know its not a party til ur girls got there...;) i love u z!! ~<3 saira the other brown/curry one