Friday, January 20, 2006

Salty fresh air

Friday January 20th, 2006 2:47 p.m.

Last Monday I went away on a little trip with my cousin's family. We drove south for six hours and arrived at a little town called Tilba Tilba. There we stayed in a cottage on top of a hill, in the middle of a farm. We were surrounded by cattle, tractors, more green hills, mountains, and farm dogs. It was quite relaxing. I posted a few photos on here. They didn't turn up in the order that I had hoped they would. So my story will not be chronological in the least.

In this first photo you will see the beautiful ocean in the background, with Sidney (my second cousin) walking along the sand, at Pebble Beach on our way back to the city. I did not see a single pebble there.


Right beside the beath there are forests scattered around a small park. I was pleasantly surprised to find heaps of kangaroos near the trees, 20 feet away from the waves. I was even more delighted when I found out that these kangaroos have been exposed to humans all their lives and are thus, quite tame. I still didn't dare to go near them lest I be kicked in the stomach by one of those incredibly powerful legs. But I finally saw others go up and pet the beauties. So here I am (with Sid), giddy as a four year old holding a lollipop. Especially happy because the first kangaroo I saw in Australia was on my way to Tilba Tilba, and it was dead on the side of the road. Roadkill here = dead kangaroos unfortunately.


This is the view from outside our cottage. Click on the photo to enlarge it and you will find a sign in the middle of the photo with a cow on it saying "Cows ahead." I was really tempted to steal the sign and bring it back home. The time we spend at the cottage was again, as I said, really relaxing. We played pictionary and uno at night, went fishing during the day, cooked and ate whenever we felt like it, and played tag with the farm dogs in the evenings.


This is me, trying to make my mom's side proud by pretending to be a good fisher...woman? The Dhalis (my mom's side) are avid fishers. It rained almost everyday we were there. My cousin fished even when it was pouring cats and dogs and probably even dingos.


3 comments:

julie anna said...

You got to pet a kangaroo???? That is way too cool. I'm becoming more and more jealous of you every day, Z. I'm glad to hear, though, that you got a good dose of Vancouverly rain. It does a body good. Or wet or something.

g. mango said...

did you catch anything? and also, can you go back to the cottage and steal the sign? i'll trade you my no dogs allowed sign that we *ahem* borrowed from a certain vancouver park way back when.

Zed said...

Julie...Yes, I didn't think I'd ever come that close to a (semi) wild kangaroo. It was quite the experience.

G Mango, I deeply regret not stealing the sign but the owners of the farm were so nice that I would've felt bad. And I don't want the no dogs allowed sign because unlike mangoes, I actually adore dogs. But I will keep my eye out for other such signs!

Zina...work woman work! I better see you here in the winter. Joking. I totally understand that working sucks derrière. Hope school is going better!

Person who deleted his/her comment...was it innapropriate?