Monday, August 18, 2008

"Yearning to feel the kiss of sweet Scottish rain"

I'm not yearning to feel the kiss of the sweet Scottish rain. That's just a pretty sounding line from Scotland the Brave . I arrived in Scotland three days ago. Edinburgh is freakin/bloody gorgeous. I'm staying with friends Paul and Olwyn. Their house is right down the street from the Edinburgh castle. Fireworks come out of the castle every night during this festival month. The town is buzzing. There are people from all corners of this earth here right now. This fest is the biggest arts festival in the world. Which equals heaven for me. Let me paint a picture for you so you better understand.

Hundreds of venues. A cappella group from Czech performing in the street, a few yards from a French clown in a French flag leotard. Ballet performances which are not as free. Shakespeare on shuffle. Molière and Ionesco re-imagined in big venues, little venues, black box theatres, fill-in-the-blank-theatres. Art galleries brimmed to the ceilings with...well art. A simultaneous book festival with book readings from authors all over the world...like the author of Fight Club who's in town right now. World renowned stand up comedians cracking jokes till 2 am. Markets selling fair trade products like jam. Mmmmm jam. And mmmmm Ionesco.

I'm living in this little wonderland. Dreading to go back home and plop back into "real life." School, work, responsibilities have currently been put on the back burner. Like the back burner way down.

Anyway, I should jet. I have to go do Scottish things like wake up and eat porridge by the castle. Sorry this post appears a bit all over the place. It's 7 am so, I'm blaming it on this ungodly hour.

No comments: