Friday, May 25, 2007

The midwest- in a town of 8000

So I left NYC on Sunday for Ohio. I left 10 in the morning on a greyhound and after severel pickup and drop offs (at Syracuse, Buffalo etc) I arrived in Cleveland, Ohio at 10:30 pm. It was a long arse day on the bus. But, I made a new friend so it wasn't a complete waste of time. His name is Ramiz and he was returning to Chicago from Syracuse. He works in construction and moved to Chicago 4 years ago from Bosnia. We sat beside each other from the busride from Buffalo to Cleveland and bonded over topics such as soccer, relationships, the military...you know, the usual. When he heard that I was meeting up with my girlfriend Divya in Ohio and would be travelling with her in June he gave me his business card and told me that I should drag Div along with me to Chicago and we could crash at his and he'd love to show us around. So since Divya has picked me up from Cleveland and brought me to the small town of Oberlin, Ohio at her college campus, I've-

- Explored the town with her, and have gotten an extensive tour of her college campus
- Been accompanying her to 'senior week' events such as 90s themed dance parties, stand up comedy nights, etc
- Watched Spider-man 3 for 3 bucks at the local theatre with Divya and laughed our arses off. We have since decided that an emo superhero is what's been missing in our lives
- Went out to dinner at the local chinese/japanese restaurant. Being from Vancouver, I have high expectations when it comes to sushi. I was a bit hesitant to try sushi in a state that DOESN't border an ocean, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food.
- Have been working daily with Div to plan our roadtrip to North Carolina in June. So far, so good.
- Am getting Divya mentally prepared for graduation -which is in a few days- and am looking forward to seeing all her family again. They are driving up here from DC this Saturday.

The weather has gotten really hot these past few days. It's been 31 degrees during the day! That's Vancouver at its highest during the summer! Divya lives in a co-op housing and her room is on the very top floor so all the heat rises to that level at night and since she leaves for DC every year around this time she never got a fan or an AC. We've been sleeping semi naked and flopping around like fish on dry land trying to find a non sweating position on our mattresses. Anyway, that's all for now. I will upload some photos and post them on here very very soon. Ciao for now!

No comments: