Sunday, October 08, 2006

Vet students sure know how to live it up

This weekend I went camping with around 300 students from the veterinary science program at my uni. Nadia's in the vet program so she invited me along to their annual camping trip. Getting there was an adventure all on its own. We had to drive form Sydney to Camden while completing a photo scavenger hunt. We pulled up to the uni that morning at 9, dressed up in a common theme as well has having our car and truck decked out. You see, each group was also competing for the "best dressed" prize. Our theme was "cows." We painted our two cars black and white, and strapped a paper maché horn, utter, and tail onto one of the cars.

As you can probably guess, we got a few stares from padestrians while driving around town completing the scanvenger hunt. We wore matching white tank tops. On the back of the tops we spray painted (in black) the words "team moo" and in the front we got individual names. Nadia and I got "moo eh" since we were the token Canadians on the team. By the time we got to Camden it was midday and boiling hot. Here we are, half the team trying to put the tents up while the other half scrubbing the black paint off the vehicles.


The games they had prepared for us...man. Here's are two teams playing egg netball. Netball is an aussie sport. It is basically basketball without the dribbling and without the backboard. Here we are playing not with basketballs, but eggs. A few cracked.

There is no proper name for this. Two people on a log trying to knock each other out with those long foamy thingies. That's as good as my explanation is going to get. The theme of the weekend, picked by the graduating fourth year students, was "lube." So they incorporated lube into everything. This log here has been slathered with lube. There was also lube wrestling earlier in the afternoon. Vet students are on crack.

A game of volleyball in a pool of mud.

Vet students are so odd! But I love them anyway. This is a guy with a drench gun. A drench gun is what vets use to vaccinate large animals because using syringes just isn't effective. So vets use this squirt gun attached to a bag filled with the vaccination. They just squirt the vaccination into cows' and horses' mouths. Except during this weekend the drench gun was used to squirt alcoholic beverages into students' mouths. Stop stressing guys. I only took two shots. I had planned to actually enjoy my weekend and remember things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously...zero comments??!!?? I had lots to comment about, but now have comment phobia...I bet your parents loved this post! Such a flattering picture of their daughter...I, on the other hand, laughed my head off!

Love ya,
Nadia

Zed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Zed said...

A lot of my friends read my blog but they all have this weird 'comment phobia' that you speak of.

Yes it's a very flattering photo indeed. Not sure if my parents have checked this post yet. I'm sure you'll bring it up though...haha

Anonymous said...

A deleted comment? Hmmm...one can only wonder what merits a deleted comment....

Nadia

Zed said...

Hahaha...the truth is I posted my reply to your comment and realized that there were a few typos. So I had to delete the comment and post a new one.

But whether you believe me or not is up to you!

-xox-
Zdawgg