Thursday, April 22, 2010

Maybe Canadians are just too politically correct?

A few hours ago, I emailed a teacher in this school regarding afterschool programs. My coteacher told me that this teacher (한채린) is in charge of all afterschool related things. So I sent her an email asking her if I would be allowed to start an English afterschool program for 'low level' students. This is the email I just received-

OK. I'll ask vice-president about lower level English program. I'll let you know the result.
But we already have a program(Korean, math, social, english, science) for retarded students and it'll start anytime soon.
And We contracted another native teacher for a year in the private company program.
Anyway if you want to join the afterschool program in any form, that's good.
I hope that I can help you.


Oh how cultural differences never cease to amuse me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well... This is a country that ceased to acknowledge the existence of mix-raced kids until a African American-Korean named Heinz Ward won the Super Bowl MVP for the Pittsburgh Steelers a few years ago. Somebody in Korea figured out the guy was Korean and offered to have him worshipped at the airport. Heinz doesn't know Korean, yet wept at the airport as it was his first time back since he was a child. His goodwill tour involved him condemning Korean culture as he said he grew up hating himself etc. His Korean mother raised him in rural Georgia. He never knew his father who was in the U.S. Armed Forces. Anyway, long story short, the Korean government changed the rules and gave mixed-race kids basically person hood during his stay.

Zed said...

O.Palme! I still don`t know who the heck you are! Reveal yourself and do away with all the crypticity!

Good story though. I`m always looking to learn more about the Korean culture. Keep `em coming.

Unknown said...

Oh come on now... Think about it... Think about it...

Name: Pierce Location: Vancouver, Canada said...

Is it working now?

Name: Pierce Location: Vancouver, Canada said...

Is it working now? I'm running on an archaic engine.