Saturday, February 25, 2006

Organized activities can be über fun

This has been an eventful week. Which makes me happy because the two weeks before were a tad boring. That is because this week the international student orientation started and (aside from the long days filled with info sessions) it was great fun. I've met a lot of cool international kids. Well, by that I mean Americans. From the 200 or so undergrad int. students, I believe at least half are from the U.S. so it's kind of hard to NOT come across one of them. The six girls that I've become close to and have been hanging out with a lot this week are from Tennessee, New York, Maine, California, Illinois, and Texas. I'm the only Canadian in the group which makes me feel quite cool. But I've also gotten to know a few snazzy Swedes, Swiss, Frenchies, and Aussies so I'm pretty happy.

Besides the info sessions the university has also organized tours, activities, and parties to keep us entertained and socializing. I am not complaining. And because (I guess) the international students pay so much money, we've been getting free food and drinks at all these events. And by drinks I mean alcohol. I know that drinking is big here but I cannot believe they offered hundreds of students complimentary drinks at the different events this past week. I don't think my home university's international staff would ever do that...because of all the money they'd lose. But here it's just a big part of the culture and they're very casual about the whole deal. The undergrad American students were just ecstatic about a university that openly offers them alcohol at events. That's mainly because the drinking age in the States is 21. Okay so not much of a segue here...actually a terrible transition...but I've found myself a church! It's a 20 minute walk from where I live so it's very close to the university. Consequently, the evening service that I attended last Sunday was filled with uni students. An aussie friend of mine suggested that I check it out and I am ever so thankful to her. Thanks Kimber!

Well I think it's time to share a few photos. A few days ago I went on a tour around the city offered to us by the university. We took the train, visited old suburbs and pubs, walked across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and walked back through the university neighbourhoods.

Me pointing at the Sydney Opera House

Sydney Opera House with no pointing fingers

The Sydney Harbour Bridge

We stopped at a German pub/restaurant during the tour. Me and another girl ordered lagers and potato wedges because we were a bit hungry from all the walking. With the wedges we were given ketchup, mayo, and this. What is it? It tasted like a wad of butter or cream in the midst of sweet chili thai sauce. If fact, I'm 99% sure that's what it was.

The sun setting near the end of our tour.

1 comment:

Zed said...

Hey ashy poo,

Ya things are pretty good here. Real excited for classes to start. Yes I know I'm a geek. But I'll mail you in a day or two. Hope midterms aren't killin ya!